I have a BA Honours Degree in Applied Photography and Digital Imaging and am an Associate of the Royal Photographic Society here in the UK. I am also a member of the RPS Contemporary Photography Group and am Director of my publishing company, SAbstract Ltd.
Currently I am working on various projects in the ‘With Photography®’ series of books. I am also preparing my dissertation for publication. ‘The Power In Photography’, written in 2005, is the reason that I wrote my first book ‘With Photography – not just an autobiography’ which then, in itself led to the series.
Primarily I am a documentary photography, I showcase the ‘stories’, including my own that I want to share, in ways that was not possible before this digital age – an era that facilitates just about everything I do.
- There are now cameras that enable switching quickly from one challenging situation to another without having to change films, camera backs or lenses;
- A digital lightroom that has replaced my darkroom which, although I have to admit I miss it sometimes, allows me to produce my work quickly and efficiently;
- Computers and the internet offering creative methods and practical solutions, quickly;
- Social media sites facilitating the sharing of ideas and methods, enabling interaction with people all over the world and the solving of challenges as soon as they appear;
- Sites like ‘People Per Hour’ where those with the skills that I lack for a specific task can be hired as I need them – I certainly couldn’t afford the luxury of permanent staff.
- Lastly, although the list is not exhaustive, with today’s publishing methods, I can access the best and most cost-effective ways to either upload e-books and to print books in full colour and a complete range of tones from white to black.
I have been taking photographs since the early 1960s, when I was just 5 or 6 years old; a passion that I started to question when I was about 40 – I was a busy working mum, running an exhibition company, but still literally living ‘With Photography’ just as I always had.
Having grown up relying on photography in many different ways, following on from the dissertation that I wrote at university – which was about why other photographers took the photographs they did – I started to write about my own life experiences and explorations. I included them in ‘With Photography® – not just an Autobiography’ which was published in 2014 following a successful Kickstarter.com campaign. ‘Just’ the autobiography: ‘Making Connections With Photography®’ was published in October 2016.
My company, SAbstract Ltd, was launched in 2011 to facilitate my research and publication of that and subsequent books, although I sometimes undertake non-commercial typesetting and proofreading work for people if the cause fits in with my own beliefs.
I am now in my 60s – my drive and enthusiasm to get out there and photograph, then reproduce the stories that I have to tell has yet to slow up – but there’s not too much time to waste.